On November 3rd, 2012, 3 coworkers and I set out to launch my second balloon in preparation for the final launch. The mission for this balloon was to test some anti-fog techniques and to give my so-called ‘Sensor Pod’ a test run. We hooked up with Monroe and Stewart from Team Prometheus at a nice park in San Saba, Texas.
Launch occurred at about 1215 GMT-6 from the middle of a baseball field. Assembling the payload line, filling the balloon, and launch all went off without a hitch. (Except for the misplacement of one Leatherman tool. Sorry Stewart!)
Within a few seconds after releasing the balloon we got confirmation that the APRS packets were being picked up by the online APRS network. We then packed up and drove into town to find the public library. We hopped on their wifi and monitored the health of the balloon and made plans on how to proceed. We elected to get lunch and then start chasing it.